Saturday, August 22, 2015

10 - What it takes to be a Filipino

Am I A Filipino?



Hello dear readers! It's me again! Lately, I've been absorbing myself to a certain question: Do I have what it takes to be a Filipino? Well, if I was asked that, then I’ve got a lot to say. Throughout my academic life, I have always somehow encountered this question one way or another. Be it Makabayan, Filipino or HeKaSi, always the same old question. But this time, I am required to express it in actual words.

But first of all, what makes a true Filipino? Have you ever wondered about that? Does being a Filipino require you to have flat nose or brown skin just like this? Or do you have to have Filipino blood flowing through your veins?  Maybe on the physical aspect, yes. But there is more to it than just that, for you to call yourself a Filipino.

            We Filipinos have characteristics unique to our own. We are as close to our family as a well-knit scarf and we value family more than any other race. Where others refuse weary travelers, we receive them with warm hands and free food. We never abandon those in need and those who are unfortunate enough to encounter disaster. We Filipinos have always been known to be creative and resourceful. When we are faced with adversity, we never fail to rise up to the challenge. And another unique trait of Filipinos is of course, our love for our country.

            Although all of the previously said traits could indeed be seen from the denizens of the Philippines, in my own humble opinion, the most important of them all is the Filipino patriotism and solidarity.

            I can support this humble claim of mine through my own personal experience. In terms of solidarity, I have a very interesting story to tell. Do you remember the previous year, month of November, a catastrophe like no other before, devastated the Philippines. It was known as the Tropical Storm Haiyan, or locally known as Super Storm Yolanda. Maybe some of you have heard the news of the destruction it created, and some of you may have donated relief goods, right? Just from this act, we can already see how we Filipinos help each other. But there is something that makes me different from the rest of you, and that is because I was there when it happened. The day before the storm, we were so calm. We had this naïve idea that, “It’s just another storm, no big deal.” We thought as such, and we’ve never been so wrong.

The torrents of rain were like waterfalls that covered the outside world with an illusion of white. The lounge was flooded, the furniture were soaked and people were complaining. By that time, over 100 evacuees were present in a stuffy cafeteria. Although it was hot, at least they were safe. Meanwhile, I just stood next to the window observing the so called super storm. For a long time, I only saw the never-ending rain, flying branches, flying leaves everywhere! Then suddenly there was a flying tricycle. I’m not kidding. There really was a flying tricycle!

A short while after my stunned state upon seeing the flying tricycle, not too far from our dorm, I can barely make out the silhouette of a man in prone position. He was crawling his way to our building. So I immediately notified my dorm mates, and together, we rushed out and brought the person, who turned out to be an old man, to the safety of the dorm. The poor old man was shivering from the cold, so what we did was give him a set of clothes, a thick blanket and, a hot bowl of soup. When he finished the meal, he gazed at us with a gratified look, and with a bright and genuine smile, he said “Salamat mga apo”. My heart burst forth with emotion as it filled with a sense of fulfillment. It was because I was able to do something meaningful with this life. At that moment, I proved deep inside my heart that The Filipino solidarity is genuine and true to its most fundamental sense.

With solidarity, comes our love for our people, and our love for our own, developed into a natural sense of patriotism. We, the citizens of our glorious nation, Philippines, are born with courage and utterly defied the dominion of others. The ancestors of our past desired freedom, and freedom they achieved. Through countless battles and innumerable sacrifice. They disregarded their own safety as they cleaved the path to independence. Here is an excerpt from Carlos P. Romulo’s “I am Filipino”:

            “I am Filipino
Born of Freedom ---
Freedom for Myself,
My children, and
My children’s children ---
Forever”



So now, let’s go back to my first question. Do I have what it takes to be a Filipino? My proud answer to that is of course, YES. In terms of physical appearance, well look at me, don’t tell me I don’t look like a Filipino to you. Just like any other Filipino, I value my family, I help the unfortunate, I am sort of creative and resourceful, but most of all, I truly and deeply love my country, the Philippines.


So to end my speech, I want to declare to you and to the world. I stand tall and proud and never shall I deny that I am Filipino.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your speech, but did the tricycle thing really happened? It was kinda hard to believe, but the way you delivered it in front of class...you were quite sincere about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't believe me too if I haven't experienced it firsthand. XD

      Delete
  2. I was so amazed on how you deliver your speech (that speech) last Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete