Friday, August 21, 2015

9 - Anti-Smoking Campaign

Smoking: A Slow Suicide


       Good day readers, today I would like to give a piece of my mind on the topic of smoking. First off, I would like to start by saying that I don't and had never smoked a cigarette first hand, and I have no plans of ever trying it whatsoever. But even though I said that, I can not deny the fact that I have indeed inhaled quite a bit of secondary cigarette smoke. As much as I try to avoid people who are smoking, those people never really run out and there are times when I just have to hold my breathe until they pass by or the smoke ascends. I truly dislike its smell. Because of that, I write this post to DISCOURAGE people from killing themselves slowly by way of cigarette.

       The reason why people smoke is mainly because of the addictive substance present in tobacco, which is nicotine. When a person inhales smoke from a cigarette, pipe or cigar, the nicotine present in it is quickly absorbed by the body through the blood and only after a few seconds, affects the brain. Nicotine acts as both a stimulant and a depressant to the central nervous system.

       Nicotine in itself is not entirely a bad thing. What makes the tobacco truly dangerous is that its smoke is made up of more than 7,000 chemicals, including over 70 known to cause CANCER. Some of these substances cause heart and lung diseases, too, and all of them can be deadly. You might be surprised to know that one of the chemicals found in tobacco smoke include: Cyanide.
(Source: http://www.cancer.org)

       Now let me give you a bit of statistics. Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including nearly 42,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers. 
(Source: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_related_mortality/)

       Personally, I HATE PEOPLE WHO SMOKE IN MY FACE. Seriously, who could be more rude than people who still continue to smoke when people around them are obviously uncomfortable with it? I have, on several occasions, encountered these type of people. I even sometimes voice out that I HATE THE SMELL OF SMOKE. Don't even give me the reason that you can't help it and you just can't stop. Honestly speaking, there are already alternatives by intaking nicotine without actually smoking through the use of nicotine patches and other such methods. In my own opinion, those who continue to smoke deliberately while knowing that it is bad for the body are people who neither cares about themselves nor the people around them. They lack the responsibility of taking care of themselves. They're basically murdering themselves and those in their vicinity. 

       SO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! FOR THE LIFE OF ME AND THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE!!! STOP SMOKING!!!

THANK YOU!!!

2 comments: